July 7, 2011

"The Lake"

where: jennifer for from me to you xo
Just a follow up to yesterday's post.  While I am drawn to the ocean as I said, I do like to head to my Grandparent's cabin on "The Lake" in New Hampshire each August for a few days.  The smells, the sounds and the air are all different from the beach, but it's a refreshing change.  

where: jennifer for from me to you xo
where: jennifer for from me to you xo
I like to say it is boy heaven there - rocks, snakes, frogs and all things boy.  The cabin is fairly rustic as things go these days.  No heat.  We build a big fire most mornings as it's in the White Mountains of New Hampshire, so it can be quite cool.  We collect our water from a fresh water spring for drinking and cooking and we bath in the lake water that is pumped into the house.  It's always an adventure, all focused on outdoor fun.  Canoeing, swimming, fishing, hiking and lounging on the dock.  

where: jennifer for from me to you xo
My boys look forward to our time there each summer and getting the chance to be with all of their cousins, aunts, uncles and their Great-grandmother. And so do I.

where: jennifer for from me to you xo
My Grandfather discovered this place, with its tall pine trees overlooking the clear crystal waters of the lake, many, many years before it was discovered by the movie crew of On Golden Pond.  It was his haven.  He loved it there.  He passed away 5 years ago today.  We all miss him, but can feel him with us when we are all together on The Lake.


1 comment:

  1. What a beautiful tribute to your grandfather.

    While I know this isn't the same lake, I wouldn't exactly pass up the time I've spent at Lake Winnipesaukee. :) xo

    ReplyDelete