June 21, 2011

happy days

It's the first day of summer and images like these make me wish I was sitting on a porch, 
sipping lemonade, admiring the hydrangeas,  
listening to the kids laughing and screeching with summer joy.
Life's a little nicer when it slows down.  
The gift of summer.

where: crush cul de sac

where: habitually chic via martha stewart

where: everything fab

where: house beautiful

where: modern hepburn


where: photos by Lindsay for from me to you xo
In my backyard.  
I honestly sit and stare at them in amazement.  They make me so happy.

where: marley and me



where: a well traveled woman

where: photos by Lindsay for from me to you xo
 Another gift summer brings us is the chance to grow our own food.  
This is my kitchen garden from last year...
with tomatoes, lettuces, broccoli, nasturtiums, sugar snap peas, 
cucumbers, peppers, basil and mint.  Still can't get the strawberries figured out 
so any advice is welcome.

This years crop is a little less of a mix with just 
tomatoes and basil, mint, cilantro and cucumbers.
We will end up having so many tomatoes, I'm trying to come up 
with some simple delicious recipes.
Any ideas??
I love my cucumber, tomato, basil sandwiches with mayo on delicious bread for lunch,
or the good old-fashioned tomato, basil and mozzarella salad with this yummy vinaigrette.

where: crush cul de sac
Happy Summer!

1 comment:

  1. Your hydrangeas make me happy, too! They are a little more challenging to grow here in TX but possible. I went a few years w/o mine blooming and sure enough, right as we put our house on the market, they started blooming.

    "kitchen" gardens - love that term. We've had lots of luck with ours and just enjoyed roasted okra and eggplant parm last night thanks to those two veggies we harvested. So much fun! As for strawberries, not so much luck, either. I think we need to move to Ponchatoula, Louisiana in order to grow them (wink).

    ReplyDelete